2 Specialized Student Assistants (SNA)
L’nu Sipuk Kina’Muokuom
Deadline: September 28, 2018
This position is to provide one-on-one assistance to Special Needs student in the LSK school, through Jordan’s Principle. The SNA supports the teacher in the delivery of early learning, planning and programming with emphasis on providing assistance to students with complex needs. This will be an individual assigned position, when the Student is not in attendance the support worker will assist with regular class activities and snack times. This position will be under the supervision of the Principal and class teacher.
• One on one supervision of a student with complex needs, as assigned
• Assist when necessary in preparation of healthy snacks
• Assist the Student with classroom and outdoor activities
• Assist Student with arrival and departure
• Supervise outdoor play/gym and snack time
• Maintain information records on Student behavior and development
• Maintain communication with coordinator and parent/guardian on progress of Student, program plans and needs
• Implement activities and strategies to respond to the learning plans for the Student with specific complex needs
• Design and adapt strategies to support Student in group activities
• Crafts –set up centers (i.e. puzzle table)
• Clean and disinfect working areas on a daily basis to provide a safe and clean environment
• Always organize the sensory boxes and ensure they are clean and safe
• Early Learning and Student Care Diploma, Special Needs Educational Assistant Diploma or Grade 12 with training and experience working with special needs students.
• Take required courses/training when necessary (i.e. CPR/First Aid, PECS, NVCI)
• Experience and training in working with autistic and students with complex needs
• Experience working with Student with complex communication, behavioral or emotional needs is a requirement.
• Criminal Records Police Check (submitted with resume) & Student Abuse Registry
• Experience in building a partnership with supervisor, Student and parent/guardian required
• Knowledge of computer programs an asset. (Word processing, graphics etc.)
• Individual must be able to work independently with limited supervision
• Other duties as required by the coordinator
• Travel with the student may be expected
• Monday-Friday 815 a.m. – 315 p.m. May be occasionally required to work hours beyond this to attend staff meetings, special events, etc.
• Preference given to a Sipekne’katik band member, but not limited to
• This is a term contract.
Please apply with resume, cover letter, with three references (include phone & email with each reference) and required documents to:
Dawn McDonald, Human Resources Manager
Or mail/drop off to HR department: Sipekne’katik Band, 522 Church Street
Indian Brook NS, B0N 1W0
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Late applications will not be accepted.
Extended Deadline: September 28, 2018