Sipekne’katik First Nation
Closing date: April 30, 2019
Reporting directly to the Director of Operations, this position provides an adequate, safe and culturally-based environment for children who are approximately 1 to 4 years old. The Manager will have several employees under their supervision. Day care schedule is in accordance to policy with hours of operation from 7:30am-4:30pm Monday to Thursday, Friday 3:30 pm. Closure is in conjunction with the school for weather and when directed by the Director of Operations.
- Provide literacy programming for children including such activities as music and singing, story time, season appropriate craft activities, games and physical movement activities.
- Create a positive warm environment so children may feel free to express themselves and choose activities appropriate for age and personal preferences.
- Engage the children in the Mi’kmaq language to support them in learning Mi’kmaq and also support first language learning.
- Teach and practice nutrition.
- Maintain contact with parents or guardians through informal meetings as needed to discuss each child’s progress and needs.
- Maintain records of each child’s progress and suggest ways in which parents can stimulate their child’s learning and development at home.
- Keep and maintain a tidy and clean area.
- Willingness to support and participate in related professional development opportunities as it pertains to position.
- Supervise staff and implementing training as needed.
- Child Development or Early Childhood Education Diploma is preferred, but not required as an equivalent, or related work experience, in a childcare setting will be considered.
- Must complete a Child Abuse Registry Check and pass a Criminal Records Check.
- Must be willing to participate in mandatory training and workshops.
Please apply with a resume, cover letter, criminal records check, vulnerable sector check and three work references to:
Human Resource Manager
Mail/drop off: 522 Church Street, Indian Brook, NS B0N 1W0
DEADLINE: April 30, 2019
Sipekne’katik reserves the right to refuse any and all applications for employment. The Band will not assume any expenses related to this or any job application process, included and not limited to travel, relocation, and application development. Only those screened in for an interview will be contacted.