Little Eagle’s Day Care Special Needs Assistant (SNA)
Sipekne’katik Band, Indian Brook
Deadline: September 19, 2018
This position is to provide assigned one on one assistance within the Little Eagle’s Daycare. The SNA supports the manager and staff in the delivery of early learning, planning and programming with emphasis on providing complex needs assistance. This will be an individual assigned position, when the child is not in attendance the support worker will assist with regular class activities and snack times. This position will be under the supervision of the Daycare manager.
• One on one supervision of a child with complex needs, as assigned
• Assist when necessary in preparation of healthy snacks
• Assist the child with inhouse and outdoor activities
• Assist child with arrival and departure
• Supervise outdoor play, indoor activities and snack time
• Maintain information records on child behavior and development
• Maintain communication with the manager and parent/guardian on progress of child, program plans and needs
• Implement activities and strategies to respond to the learning plans for the child with specific complex needs
• Design and adapt strategies to support child in group activities
• Crafts –set up centers (i.e. puzzle table)
• Clean and disinfect working areas on a daily basis to provide a safe and clean environment
• Always organize the sensory boxes and ensure they are clean and safe
• Early Learning and Child Care Diploma, Special Needs Educational Assistant Diploma or Grade 12 with training and experience working with special needs students/children.
• Take required courses/training when necessary (i.e. CPR, Food Handlers)
• Experience and training in working with autistic and children with complex needs
• Experience working with children with complex communication, behavioral or emotional needs is a requirement.
• Criminal Records Police Check (submitted with resume) & Child Abuse Registry
• Experience in building a partnership with supervisor, child and parent/guardian required
• Individual must be able to work independently with limited supervision
• Other duties as required by the coordinator
• Travel with the children may be expected
• Monday-Friday 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
• Preference given to a Sipekne’katik band member, but not limited to
• This is a term position with renewal based on funding.
Application Package: up to date resume, cover letter, with three professional references (include phone & email with each reference), Criminal Record and Child abuse registry check to:
Dawn McDonald, Human Resources Manager
Or mail/drop off to HR department: Sipekne’katik Band, 522 Church Street
Indian Brook NS, B0N 1W0
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Late or incomplete packages will not be accepted.
Extended Deadline: September 19, 2018