Employment Opportunity – Music Teacher
L’nu Sipuk Kina’muokuom
Position Available: Elementary Music Teacher for September 2019 – June 2020
This position is accountable to delivering the required curriculum as set forth by the province and for providing teaching strategies that respect the rights of students of LSK. This position is also responsible to incorporate Mi’kmaq language and culture into the curriculum while recognizing the perspectives of all cultures as well as teaching sensitivity pertaining to student individuality.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
• Respects the rights of students and display genuine love of teaching students through both enthusiasm and motivation.
• Sound knowledge of music with a demonstrated ability to teach music in a class setting from Kindergarten to Grade 6.
• Teach diligently Nova Scotia’s music curriculum outcomes.
• Arrange performance opportunities for your pupils, such as concerts for friends and relatives.
• Implement teaching strategies that foster a positive learning environment aimed at helping students achieve learning outcomes.
• Encourage students in the pursuit of learning.
• Monitor the effectiveness of the teaching strategies by analyzing outcomes achieved.
• Acknowledge and, to the extent reasonable, accommodate differences in learning styles.
• Participate in individual program planning and implement individual program plans, as required for students with special needs.
• Review regularly with students their learning expectations and progress.
• Administer such evaluations and assessment instruments as required by the governing body.
• Take all reasonable steps necessary to create and maintain an orderly and safe learning environment.
• Maintain appropriate order and discipline in the school or room in the teacher’s charge and report to the principal any incidents and concerns regarding behaviour and or learning.
• Maintain an attitude of concern for the dignity and welfare of each student and encourage in each student an attitude of concern for the dignity and welfare of others and a respect for all cultures.
• Attend to the health, comfort and safety of the students.
• Take all reasonable steps to secure full and regular attendance at school of the students under the teacher’s supervision.
• Keep accurate attendance records and report absent students to the principal as prescribed by the regulations.
• Communicate regularly with parents in accordance with policies established by the governing body.
• Assist in the development and implantation of the school improvement plan.
• Serve, to the extent reasonable, on committees establish with the school to improve student achievement and success.
• Provincial Teacher Certification
• Courses or experience in teaching Music
• Experience working in an Aboriginal education environment an asset
• Knowledge of Mi’kmaq Language and culture an asset
• Must abide by the Sipekne’katik Band and LSK Policies
Please apply with resume, cover letter, Child Abuse Registry check, Police Vulnerability Check, with three references (include phone & email with each reference) respond all documents by email to:
Human Resource Department
Deadline: June 15th, 2019
Late applicants will not be accepted.