Sipekne’katik Aboriginal Fisheries Administrative Assistant/Communications Officer
Deadline: June 30, 2018
The combined position of Administrative Assistant/Communications Officer will provide administrative assistance and communications for the Sipekne’katik Aboriginal Fisheries Guardians, including other duties relation to the Sipekne’katik Fisheries. This position will include all aspects of office administration including tracking guardians’ schedules, arranging meetings and recording of minutes. Under communications: promotional and media releases, educational workshops and training sessions including other communication related duties. This position works under the supervision of the guardians reports directly to the Fisheries Director.
Responsibilities and Duties:
• Clerical Duties such as answering telephones, fax, emailing, letters, invoices, filing, recording incoming and outgoing mail
• Provide monthly reports on guardian program activities
• Build and maintain relationships with DFO, fishers and community
• Must be dependable, reliable, able to work unsupervised
• Participate in workshops, courses and ongoing education
• Knowledge of web, print and digital communications techniques
• Strong oral and written skills
• Editorial and marketing skills
• Organizations skills with strong time management skills to meet deadlines
• Coordinate community events, meetings, media releases and educational workshops
• Other related duties as required by Sipekne’katik Band/Aboriginal Fisheries Guardians
• Diploma or certificate in Administration, communications or related field; or Grade 12 or equivalent with at least 2-years’ experience in clerical/communications field
• Experience and Knowledge of Software needed for Administration and communication; Computer skills, Microsoft word, excel, PowerPoint, adobe photoshop etc.
• Experience communicating and working with the public, government and industry
• Ability to take minutes and organize meetings
• Experience organizing and promoting events
• Valid driver’s license
• Ability to work on supervised and also be a team player
• Criminal check required with resume.
Please apply with resume, cover letter and three work references (include phone number and email with each reference) and required documents to:
Dawn McDonald, Human Resource Manager
Or drop off to HR department: Sipekne’katik Band, 522 Church Street, Indian Brook, NS B0N 1W0
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted
Late applications will not be accepted.