Director of Administration
Closing: January 22, 2021
Reporting directly to the Director of Operations, this position is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day activities of the department managers to ensure the band is well-coordinator and productive in support of its vision, mission and strategic priorities. This includes the overall supervision of department managers and/or employees, addressing enquiries and concerns from band members, administering donations, enforcing policies, and following up on council actions.
- Promote a positive and productive work environment for all staff in the band.
- Provide supervision and guidance to department managers that includes conducting annual performance reviews and providing direction on managers’ priorities and workplans.
- Approve all Managers’ leave and overtime requests according to policy.
- Oversees the human resource management function and, in particular, escalated HR matters when unable to be resolved at the department or HR level (e.g. escalated employee concerns/complaints, leave and attendance, policy enforcement, OH&S Compliance, etc.)
- Participate in the interview committee process for the hiring of managers and staff.
- Organize monthly manager meetings to include various learning topics.
- Respond to community member needs, enquires and concerns.
- Liaison between the needs of Chief and Council, through the Director of Operations, and the needs of department managers.
- Apply existing policies to ensure compliance and provides recommendations for policy development.
- Ensures applicable legislation, regulations and agreements are being followed.
- Oversees and leads the band’s IT requirements through the IT Department.
- Participates in committee meetings such as Human Resources, Finance, OH&S and EMO.
- Ensures all initiatives affecting band staff are monitored and communicated effectively.
- Assists with the budgeting process and oversees the band’s records management program.
- Performs other duties as required such as research/project work, tendering procedures, crisis management, OH&S compliance, communication of information and advocacy.
- Undergraduate Degree in a related field, such as Business, Management or Administration.
- 3 years of related experience with 5 years in a management position.
- An equivalent combination of experience and education will be considered.
- A broad knowledge of First Nations governance and cultural practices.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a complex organization including reporting, budgeting, human resources and policy development.
- Possess effective leadership skills required to strategize, direct, develop, empower and inspire a management team.
- Sound judgement, diplomacy and decision-making abilities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills combined with the ability to build and maintain strong relationships with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Strong conflict management and negotiation skills.
- Project Management experience is an asset.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite
- Must submit a satisfactory Criminal Records Check.
- Work is completed in a comfortable office environment with an extensive amount of time sitting at a desk and using a computer.
- May be required to lift or move large binders, files, boxes, etc.
- Require high degree of concentration and attention to detail.
- Pressure to meet tight deadlines.
This position comes with a variety of benefits including health, dental, disability and life insurances, an employee & family assistance program and employer pension plan.
Note: This position is being posted for internal candidates only at this time.
Please apply with a resume, cover letter and criminal records check to:
Human Resource Manager
Mail/drop off: 522 Church Street, Indian Brook, NS B0N 2H0
DEADLINE: January 22, 2021
We are an equal opportunity employer; however, qualified Aboriginal applicants will be given priority in accordance with the Aboriginal Employment Preference Policy of the Canadian Human Rights Commission. The Band will not assume any expenses related to any job application process, included but not limited to travel, relocation, and application development. Please note certain positions come with mandatory employee benefits. Only those screened in for an interview will be contacted.