Job Opportunity – L’nu Sipuk Kina’Muokuom (LSK) School
Educational Assistant (EA), Indian Brook, NS
Full-time starting September 3, 2019
This position is accountable for providing academic and/or behavioural supports that respect the rights of students of LSK.
This position is also responsible to incorporate Mi’kmaq into the curriculum, while recognizing the perspectives of all cultures as well as teaching sensitivity pertaining to student individuality.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Although some responsibilities and duties may vary according to assignment, the basic job goal for all LSK educational assistants is the same:
To assist the teacher in ways that will enable the teacher to meet the needs of the students within his/her classroom or caseload.
• Work with the assigned teacher/classroom to provide a successful experience for all students.
• Supervisor students and provide educational supports as directed.
• Assist with small groups of students as needed, ability to work with medium to high needs students as required.
• Act in a professional manner and develop a respectful support with staff and students.
• Complete required professional development requirements.
• Share knowledge about the student(s) under their care, with the teacher.
• Use only discipline approaches approved and recommended by the teacher and school.
• Teacher assistants are obligated to be proactive in the classroom in support of student learning.
• Model appropriate problem solving and conflict resolution
• Demonstrate ethical behaviours
• Teacher assistants are also expected to develop and maintain a positive rapport with students
• Instructional time means, but is not limited to, time in the classroom with the students and field trips.
Participate in student oriented extracurricular activities. These activities may include, but are not limited to, organizing school concerts, coaching sport teams, organizing and maintaining drama clubs, art clubs, etc.
• Please apply with cover letter, resume with three references (include phone & email with each reference), valid Criminal Record Check and NS Child Abuse Registry Check to:
Or mail/drop off: Attention: Human Resource Department
522 Church Street Indian Brook NS B0N 1W0
Note: All required documents must be included for consideration, including current criminal record check and child abuse registry check. These documents are required to work within the school and with children and youth.
Deadline: August 9, 2019