Recreation & Sports Coordinator (RSC)
(formally Recreation Assistant Manager)
Deadline: July 3, 2018 (Noon)
The Recreation & Sports Coordination (RSC) will work under the supervision of the Recreation Manager. The RSC will be responsible for coordinating and implementing Recreation and sports projects. Including, being the lead on sporting events that are inclusive of community members and regional teams. In addition, creating recreational documents such as but not limited to promotional flyer’s, tournament schedules, entering and maintaining recreational project reporting data. Assist with pool operations; ensure staff follow rules, and safety measures, etc. The RSC will be required to perform monitoring and fill in duties with the fitness center as needed.
This position will be based on regular work schedule hours of the Administration with Flexible hours during hosted sporting/recreational events and regional/national/international tournaments and games.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Promote health living through sports and recreation
• Ensure a safe and healthy environment.
• Promote and work with departments involved in community-based programs that promote recreation, community engagement and cultural activities linked to healthy active lifestyles.
• Create new innovative ways to promote active living through project development
• Develop new relationships with outside organizations for resource and project support.
• Coordinate and be the lead on games, tournaments and other sporting events receiving support from the recreation department i.e.: Summer games, Labor Day, NAIIG Etc.
• Participate as a committee member for recreation and sporting events projects including wellness and educational projects linked to sports and recreation.
• Assist in the development of proposals and applications for projects
• Supervise and lead chaperones and volunteers during events both in and outside of community.
• Participates in professional workshops, courses, and ongoing learning.
• Must be dependable, reliable and self-motivated.
• Experience in a variety of sports and other physical activities with the ability to promote interest.
• Time management and organizational Skills
• Fulfil the duties of the Recreation Manger when unavailable for a duration of time.
• Ability to work independently, and shift-work when required.
• Flexible to work with different age groups.
• Proactive, professional, prompt, and reliable attendance to work.
• Work in noisy and busy environment.
• Must be available to work weekends and/or holidays as required through work-based projects.
• Must work well with all ages.
• Will be required to work outside in various climate conditions.
• Will report and relay information to Recreation Manager as required.
• Certificate or Diploma in recreation, sports, human services or related field of study or
Grade 12 Diploma or equivalent with at least 2 years’ experience in working in field of Sports and Recreation
• Ability motivate, encourage and promote active living
• Must be available to work weekends and/or holidays
• Must work well with children and youth
• Will be required to work outside in various climate conditions
• Will report and relay information to Recreation Manager
• Coaching Certificates are an asset, but not a requirement
• Criminal Record and Child Abuse Registry Check (submit with resume)
• Current First Aid and CPR Certificate
Please apply with resume, cover letter, with three professional references (include phone & email with each reference) and required documents to:
Dawn McDonald, Human Resources Manager
Or mail/drop off to HR department: Sipekne’katik Band, 522 Church Street
Indian Brook NS, B0N 1W0
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Late applications will not be accepted.
Extended Deadline: July 3, 2018 (Noon)