Recreation & Sports Coordinator (RSC)
(up to 12-month contract)
Sipekne’katik First Nation
Closing date: March 20, 2019
Under the direction of the Recreation Manager, the RSC will be responsible for coordinating and implementing recreation and sports projects, that includes being the lead on sporting events that are inclusive of community members and regional teams. In addition, this position creates recreational documents such as but not limited to promotional flyer’s, tournament schedules and entering and maintaining recreational project reporting data. This position assists with pool operations; ensures staff follow rules, ensures safety measures, etc. This position will be required to also perform monitoring and fill in duties pertaining to the fitness center as needed.
This position will be based on regular work schedule hours of the Administration with Flexible hours during hosted sporting/recreational events and regional/national/international tournaments and games.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Promote health living through sports and recreation.
• Ensure a safe and healthy environment.
• Promote and work with departments involved in community-based programs that promote recreation, community engagement and cultural activities linked to healthy active lifestyles.
• Create new innovative ways to promote active living through project development.
• Develop new relationships with outside organizations for resource and project support.
• Coordinate and be the lead on games, tournaments and other sporting events receiving support from the recreation department (e.g. Summer games, Labor Day, NAIIG, etc.).
• Participate as a committee member for recreation and sporting events projects including wellness and educational projects linked to sports and recreation.
• Assist in the development of proposals and applications for projects
• Supervise and lead chaperones and volunteers during events, both in and outside of community.
• Participates in professional workshops, courses, and ongoing learning.
• Fulfil the duties of the Recreation Manger when unavailable for a duration of time.
• Will report and relay information to Recreation Manager
• Understands and abides by HR and Financial Policies of Sipekne’katik
• Performs other related duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Experience in a variety of sports and other physical activities with the ability to promote interest.
• Time management and organizational Skills.
• Must be dependable, reliable and self-motivated.
• Ability to work independently and do shift-work when required.
• Must be available to work weekends and/or holidays as required through work-based projects.
• Ability to work well with different age groups.
• Proactive, professional, prompt, and reliable attendance to work.
• Work in noisy and busy environment.
• Required to work outside in various climate conditions.
• Must have a valid driver’s license and access to a dependable vehicle.
• Current First Aid, and CPR Certificate
Please apply with a resume, cover letter, criminal records check, vulnerable sector check and three work references to:
Human Resources Manager
Mail/drop off: 522 Church Street, Indian Brook, NS B0N 1W0
DEADLINE: March 20, 2019
Sipekne’katik reserves the right to refuse any and all applications for employment. The Band will not assume any expenses related to this or any job application process, included and not limited to travel, relocation, and application development.