Sipekne’katik is seeking trustees for its “Sipekne’katik Youth Members Trust.”
Sipekne’katik is a Nova Scotia First Nation consisting of approximately 2,700 members. From time to time, the Band will issue per capita distributions to its membership. The purpose of the trust is to hold funds for minor band members until they reach the age of 18.
The trust will consist of 7 trustees (3 Band Members, 3 Independent Trustees, 1 Chairperson) who will perform their duties in compliance with the Sipe’knekatik Youth Members Trust Agreement and the Trustees Act of the Province of Nova Scotia.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Recruiting for, screening and appointing a Chair Person
- Recruiting for, screening and appointing a Trust Management Firm
- Recruiting for, screening and appointing an Investment Management Firm
- Preparing policies and financial controls that address the administration and safeguard of the trust funds
- Ensure financial records are accurate and audited annually
- Ensure risks are properly recognized and mitigated
- Report, at least annually, to the Sipekne’katik Chief and Council
- Required to meet as frequently as determined, but no less then two times per year
- Ensure minutes are kept for all meetings (reviewed and signed off at subsequent meetings)
Skills and Experience
- Must be bondable
- Working knowledge of the investment industry
- Working knowledge of trusts
- Management, board or trustee experience
- Experience working with First Nations would be considered an asset
This is a volunteer position. Reasonable expenses related to the duties as a trustee may be reimbursed.
Required with Submission
Please provide a cover letter and resume which highlight your relevant skills, education and work experience as it relates to this opportunity.
Please email to Matthew Horton, CPA, CA, CAFM, Executive Financial Officer:
Your cover letter and resume must be received by noon on August 23, 2019