Employment Opportunity – On-call Education Assistant
Indian Brook – L’nu Sipuk Kina’muokuom (LSK) School
The LSK School in Indian Brook is currently accepting applications from qualified candidates interested in filling temporary educational assistant roles. This is an exciting opportunity for individuals interested in working in a Mi’kmaq learning environment that incorporates the Mi’kmaq culture into its curriculum while recognizing the perspectives of all cultures, as well as teaching sensitivity pertaining to student individuality.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the assigned teacher/classroom to provide a successful experience for all students.
- Supervise students and provide educational support as directed.
- Assist with small groups of students as needed, work with medium to high needs students as required.
- Act in a professional manner and develop a respectful support with staff and students.
- Share knowledge about the student(s) under their care with their teacher.
- Model appropriate problem solving, conflict resolution and ethical behaviours.
- Develop and maintain a positive rapport with students
- Instructional time means, but is not limited to, time in the classroom with the students and field trips.
- Manage the classroom effectively to encourage student participation, minimize distractions and maintain a positive learning environment.
- Abide by safety protocols to ensure the health and safety of students and staff.
- Other related duties as assigned by supervisors.
- Must have a genuine interest in working in a First Nations learning environment.
- Must have a passion and genuine interest in working with children
- Courses in a related field such as early childhood development, social work, education or a post secondary education is preferred. A combination of experience and education will be given consideration.
Please apply with resume, cover letter, Child Abuse Registry Check, Vulnerable Sector Check, and three references (include phone & email with each reference) to:
Human Resource Manager
Mail/drop off: 522 Church Street, Indian Brook, NS B0N 1W0
Closing Date: October 21, 2020