Journey Person Carpenter – Housing Department
Extended Deadline: Opened until filled
The position of Carpenter will work under the direction of the Housing Manager and field supervisors, related to carpentry which will include the alteration and construction of buildings, cabinets, and specialty wood items. They will also perform other related duties as requested.
- Rough and finish carpentry including building additions and barrier free equipment adjustments and special products.
- Builds and patches roofs.
- Installs floors and wall coverings, ceiling material, paneling, plastic laminates and hardware.
- Repairs to doors, walls, ceilings, installs of door jambs and hangs metal and wood doors; finishes walls with wood, and structural metal installation.
- Repairs / replaces railings, handrails, stairs treads, nosing and gratings.
- Builds platforms, podiums, partitions, ramps.
- Installs insulation and weather stripping.
- Maintains and repairs machinery, tools and equipment used in the carpentry trade.
- Installs towel racks, dispensers.
- Paints and stains wood; and,
- Other related duties as assigned by the supervisor(s).
- Knowledge of rough and finish carpentry as well as safe work practices related to carpentry work; building techniques of new and remodel construction; masonry, concrete and wood construction.
- Experience using and maintaining tools and equipment associated with carpentry,
- Physical ability to climb and work from ladders at different heights, bend, stoop and work around wood dust.
- Ability to work on lower levels of construction and confined spaces when necessary.
- Physical ability to lift, carry items up to 50 lbs. using safe lifting practices.
- Sound judgment, tact, diplomacy, and decision-making skills.
- Ability to work around wood dust and fumes and in inclement weather.
- An equivalent combination of training and experience will be considered.
- A criminal records check is to be submitted with resume. Having a criminal record might not be a determinate factor.
Starting salary based on qualifications. We offer a complete benefit package including an employer pension plan and medical/dental benefits.
Please apply with resume, cover letter, criminal records check and three work references (include phone & email with each reference) to:
Human Resources Department
Mail/drop off: 522 Church Street, Indian Brook, NS B0N 1W0
Sipekne’katik reserves the right to refuse any and all applications for employment. The Band will not assume any expenses related to this or any job application process, included and not limited to travel, relocation, and application development. Only those screened in for an interview will be contacted.